Arača overview, with corn.
Monument of Culture of Exceptional Importance
Arača is a medieval Romanesque church ruin located about 12 km north of Novi Bečej, Serbia. The Department for protection and scientific study of Cultural Monuments in Belgrade issued a decision in 1948, in which the Romanesque church of Arača was placed under state protection.
4 Protection of cultural monuments and natural rarities
5 See also
6 External links
It was built around 1230 during administration of the Kingdom of Hungary. It was robbed and devastated in 1280 and reconstructed in 1370 as required by the Queen Elizabeth, and that’s when the Gothic tower that exists today was, probably, built.
In 1417 it came into possession of the Serbian despot Stefan Lazarević. Later it belonged to Serbian despot Đurađ Branković who gave it, as a present, to Pál Birinyi. In 1551 Ottomans burned the cathedral down and it was never reconstructed again. In the end of the 18th century it was a possession of Sissány family.
Extensive excavation and general protection of sites and conservation-restoration works were performed in the period 1970-1978. Works were organizes by Regional Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments / Vojvodina, Novi Sad /, and they were managed by Sandor Nagy, archaeologist of Vojvodina Museum in Novi Sad. Conservation and restoration work, and work on technical documentation were organized by Miomir Petrović, technician conservator of the Provincial Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments, with the involvement of Milka Čanak, conservator of the Republic Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments, Belgrade.
The ruin is on the right terrace, about 13 km east of the Tisa river bed. Church and monastery are on the bank of a Crna bara at an altitude of 80.00 meters. This swampy depression belongs to the same level of Tisa.
With Bečej fortress on the bank of the Tisa, Arača was connected and now in the raster field visible through the middle of a length of about 13 km.
Excavations organized at the end of the 19th century were submitted to light findings that will greatly enrich the knowledge of Arača, and simultaneously